Where: San Jose on our way north to La Fortuna and the Arenal Volcano
After one of the yummiest breakfasts of rice and beans (sound a little much for breakfast? Trust me, it was incredible) and fresh fruit we said adios to Antonietta and hopped in our "Tourismo" (tourist van) with Roman and headed to a bridge. Why a bridge you might ask? For this...
Believe it or not, I was so close to bungee jumping along with Esther and Tami, but the rational part of my brain kicked in said, "Alyssa, you have a sprained neck and suffered severe whip-lash in your accident, bungee jumping probably isn't the best idea." An hour later I regretted not going, but in the moment, looking down from the bridge to the rocky waters below, I was easily persuaded by the rational voice in my head.
After the jumping adventures of Esther and Tami, we had a 4-5 hour drive north to Arenal, the active volcano. Before we made it to the volcano, however, we made a few pit stops.
We bought these alongside the road. They are mamonchinos. So good. You have to peel away a pokey outer shell but the meat inside is sweet and delicious!
After a steep hike down, we went swimming in this:
And then hiked around the mountain and found an awesome brigde:
After a strenuous hike up the mountain we were ready for dinner. Oh, how much I loved this food.
Next stop, the hot springs! The volcano creates these natural hot springs that are all around La Fortuna. The hot springs we went in had 3 different pools with different temperatures from cold to scalding hot. After a long day of hiking and sitting in a uncomfortable van on bumpy roads, we welcomed the opportunity to soak. (Sorry, the pics are a little blury)
And finally...bed time at the Arenal Vista Lodge which overlooked the Arenal Volcano and a lake. Beautiful.
3 comments:
Looks amazingly beautiful. Sometimes it's hard to believe places like that are really out there. The food does look yummy
That is so beautiful. I am so happy you got to go on such a fun trip. I love all the hiking you did and the food looks incredible!
How fun!!
Post a Comment