Sunday, September 14, 2008

Defining History

Sandra Day O'Connor standing next to her portrait surrounded by the artist and the Dean of the Law School

In the last few months I've had the opportunity to meet and listen to a few high profile political figures. Spending time with President Bush and Mitt Romney was an interesting, albeit an exciting, experience. This week, however, I met someone who trumped them both. On Friday I had the privilege and honor to meet Sandra Day O'Connor. While I do work at the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU, I didn't really expect to meet her. But on Friday, her 1984-1985 law clerks presented the school with a portrait of Justice O'Connor, fitting for a school named after her. At this closed event I was able to listen to her speak of the purpose of the school and what her vision was for the students and staff who spent time within the walls of the school. After the ceremony was finished, I walked to the front to take a closer look at the portrait. I knew I wanted to shake her hand and say hello, but there were scads of people around her. Next thing I knew, I heard this kind voice asked me what I thought about the painting. I turned to my right and there was Justice O'Connor talking directly to me. Surprisingly, I was a little speechless. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to thank her paving the pathway for women but didn't want to sound so cliche. For those who are unaware, let me shed some light on what Justice O'Connor has done for women.

Sandra Day O'Connor graduated from Stanford Law School at the top of her class, behind the valedictorian, William Rehnquist. Upon her graduation, she began to look for a job, only to find that firms wouldn't hire her as a lawyer, but wanted her as a legal secretary. She turned to the public sector and worked in various positions within Arizona and eventually being elected to the Arizona State Senate. In 1981 she was nominated by President Regan to serve on the United States Supreme Court. And that is where she served for over 25 as the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court. According to her law clerks and others at the school, until the recent media frenzy over Hilary Clinton, no woman had received as much media hype since Justice O'Connor was appointed to the Supreme Court.

She truly is a woman who has diligently fought to hold her place among a society and industry of men and has come out standing tall and respected by all. She has a welcoming disposition and kind eyes...and to think, she talked to me.

5 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

I am glad you enlightened me on her accomplishments. As embarrassed as I am to admit this, I didnt know anything about her. Of course I had heard her name, but that was it.

Someday I will be bragging to others that I know THE Alyssa China.

Kathryn Cooper said...

Alyssa! How are you? I found you on Natalie's blog- exciting! That's way cool that you met Justice O'Conner.

Anonymous said...

Life, at times, appears serendipitous, doesn't it? Or, as Forest put it, "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're going to get." Justice O'Conner touched your life. Awesome! What's next?...

Brianne said...

You are so awesome. Wow, living the dream, that is amazing. She sounds nice. I would've totally been like "I love your portrait, um... you're wonderful... bye now I'm scared:)"

Lisa said...

that is cool you got to meet her and talk to her. i hope you told her that the portrait didn't do the real person justice. i'm crossin' my fingers you get to meet palin next! LOL