Friday, June 26, 2009

Colored? Me? Seriously?

We live in the 21st Century, do we not? This is a conversation I had last night...

Let me preface this story with a little background. Institute. The dating meat market of Mesa. Characters in the story: Me and a boy (who will remain nameless) who I have met on a few occasions.

Conversation begins...blah blah blah...5 minutes later

Boy: You're colored?

Me: What?

Boy: You're colored right?

Me: (Thinking in my head) Do I look ill? My shirt is colored, in fact, it's blue.

Boy: You're colored right? What is your race?

Me: (Somewhat shocked and speechless) Colored? I'm half Chinese.

Boy: Sweet. I thought you were Latina. So you're pretty smart, right. Good at math? I mean, you are Chinese.

Forgive me, I didn't realize I had lasped back in time to the South pre-Civil Rights movement. Colored? Me? Seriously?

10 comments:

Adam R. said...

Ha ha! Alyssa, that is awesome. I can totally relate. Wow.

chelsea mckell said...

Wow... I'm speechless too.
No I'm not. I'd tell that guy exactly what a moron he is. Or just really socially awkward.

becca said...

i cannot believe this!!! ew!

DeeAura said...

Oh, he did NOT!!! Hahahaha! I'm sorry, that's not funny, except...it is. What the....? Does that mean I should be good at...?? huh. What exactly should I be good at? Being a moron?

Dear awkward boy...

Spendy said...

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised... I've spent 5 more years than you attending said institute. I'm just wondering if this was the same guy who (in one night) told me my arm hair was kind of manly and I should really have it waxed or something AND (AND) that my gray roots of my hair were showing and I should really take care of it more often than my every six week hair appointment.

And people wonder how girls as fabulous as we are still aren't married... Hmm. It's a mystery!

Jill said...

You are kidding me! I would have hit him! I'm back and I'll call you today! Love you!

Brianne said...

You're not colored!?! I have been fooled all along:) Wow, that is weird. Like really weird. I feel sorry for the kid, poor thing. Are you good at math? I don't remember you ever taking math classes in college.

Chance said...

Hint: Don't date that boy!

Mandy said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing, but you have a way with words. You should have just given him something to go off of- tell him you're half black, half latino, and half russian... then see what he says?

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

Had it been Justin Hale, funny. Assuming this guy is a whitey (cracker, honky, or anything else you feel like calling him), it's just "ignant." Sometime I'll have to tell you about the racist blog I read about Muslims. Sometimes, I am thoroughly amazed.