I must say that there is a certain amount of pride that ran through my soul last night as I watched the magnificence of the Opening Ceremonies in the Bird's Nest at Beijing. It's not as if I'm not fully aware of my Chinese heritage, nor is it that I don't fully understand that significance of the event as one examines the history and place of China in the current world of politics, it's just that for the hour or so that the ceremonies were taking place, China was seen in a very different light. China in all of it's grandeur and awe took center stage as it has in the past and once again showed the world what it, as a country and as a people, are capable of. Now, this is not to say that I'm discounting the article I read in the New York Times yesterday about all of the poor factory workers who were put out of their jobs so that the air pollution level could fall and were "strongly encouraged" to leave Beijing as the press and media began to filter in for the olympics so that China could show a good face to the world. I am very aware of the happenings within the political and socioeconomic circles of China. However, these people are part of who I am. They are my people, my family, my heritage. For that reason, I am proud of what I saw last night. Furthermore, a few notes on the Olympics in general. I am rarely one to support the outrageous fame, money and publicity that athletes receive. I think that it is preposterous that playing a sport gets you more recognition it the eyes of the world than teaching, but that is a whole other subject. However, every 4 years, I am always amazed at the unity and national pride that arises during the Olympics. Truly, the Olympics are the only venue in which the world comes together to celebrate the things we have in common. And for a few short weeks, the politics and the cultural boundaries are set aside as the world to cheers on the people. That, to me, is miraculous.

Can we please discuss how incredible this was? I was sure that this was machine run. Think again! Props to the performers of the moving type.Oh, and P.S. I would like to take this time to give a shout out to my Dad who turned 60 this past week! Happy Birthday Dad!
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Dad! I am so sad we don't have cable and couldn't see this spectacular performance, the typing machine looks way cool.
oh my gosh? you're part chinese? i never knew that!!!
the opening ceremony was the coolest thing ever. i knew it was people doing it. don't know why. but it was all amazing and wow-inducing.
congrats on your job! that is so cool.
come see us--it's nice and cool up here!!!
I didnt know you were part chinese either! well, I guess I couldve figured it out. just didnt think about it I guess.
Beautiful post. I so agree - it is preposterous that athletes receive more fame and fortune than teachers or other un-sung heroes in our society. Though those athletes do work incredibly hard and sacrifice so much. We could learn a lot from their example of self-discipline and delayed gratification.
You highlighted one of my favorite parts of the opening ceremonies - the fact that so much of it was NOT machine-run... China used its greatest resource in that opening ceremony - their PEOPLE! Lots and lots of disciplined, dedicated people! Its great youre proud to be related to them.
Post a Comment